Saturday, February 18, 2012

Specifics...

M here. It has been a good while since I've posted. Probably because I had about as much enthusiasm for online dating as I do for a visit to the dentist. I think it is fair to say that it equally undesirable to have a 40-year-old wink at you as it is to have someone scraping at your pearly whites. So I attempted to sabotage my own account. I decided to start from scratch with my "About Me and What I'm Looking For" section on my page, so I deleted all those charming things I had written down like "I like to cook" and "I really like to go out to restaurants but also can enjoy a quiet night in" and "I'm funny but also have a serious side" and "I'm looking for a guy to be my best friend" because let's be honest, 9/10 profiles the online dating men are looking at SAY THE EXACT SAME THING. I decided it was time for some specifics. I was going to put what I wrote down in my new "About Me" section, but it is quite wordy, so I'll just give some highlights, and I quote:

-I am emotionally stable (that's got to be at least 10 points for me), no drama, tears are a rarity, crabbiness does ensue on occasion.
-I am an introvert - but I am not shy, nor do I avoid large groups, it is just that at the end of the day, my favorite times are the times I spend with the people who are nearest and dearest to my heart.
-I love to watch sports, particularly football, and do my best to cheer on the good ol' Minnesota teams.
-I have recently become a big fan of cooking, drinking tea, listening to NPR/WBEZ, working out, the band Paper Route, and the TV shows How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory. 


I know, pretty tame right? Well then I decided to weed out some of my potential suitors and came up with this (again, stripped down version, but these were all included):


I am looking for a guy...
-who is witty like Ira Glass (and who knows who Ira Glass is or is willing to take the time to find out).
-who is willing to put up with certain levels of ridiculousness and fiestyness. 
-who has style like Joseph Gordon Levitt
-who can admit that Clint Eastwood is THE MAN.
- who knows who C.S. Lewis and Henri Nouwen are and have read some of their writings.




So, I expected to hear from no one, but surprisingly, within 24 hours, my inbox was 3 emails fuller and I was getting winks from guys who apparently did not read the "has style like JGL" standard. So, I didn't respond to any until Mango Smoothie emailed me.

Mango Smoothie: 26, Graduate Student, Intellectual, Witty, Well-Traveled, Thoughtful, Low-Key

We haven't met yet, but I just gave him my phone number today, which has already utilized by sending me a few texts earlier... I am hoping for a coffee date or something simple tomorrow. I am already a bit nervous because I think I could really like this guy. I do feel like Mango Smoothie is my last chance and if it doesn't work out with him, I am going to end my online dating extravaganza and see if I can make something happen in the face-to-face dating world.

No comments:

Post a Comment