Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Uh

So, uh... I uh... went on an uh... awkward... uh... date on uh... Sunday.  After a few very vague and not so informative emails, I agreed to meet for lunch with Milkshake (who is still looking for a new profile picture).  My impression was not so good going into the date considering the quality of emails, voice-mails, and the uncomfortable brief phone conversation that we had prior to the date.  We met at a nice restaurant for a simple get to know you lunch.  It was awkward.  Milkshake was very nervous and stuttered over most of his words.  He uh.. said, uh- a lot, while continually fidgeting with anything and everything on the table and he could not make eye contact!  He was very apologetic for the head cold he had come down with, uh, just an hour after we had set up the date.  Now I like to think that I'm a pretty laid back person and I did my best to make him feel comfortable.  I initiated most of the conversation and tried to engage in things that we have in common.  His nerves took over every time I tried to talk and he would promptly interrupt me to tell me another something about himself.  I was pretty uninterested from the get go, but lost interest very quickly, especially when he started talking about how his social life consists of playing video games with his nephew.

My favorite part of the date came at the end (and no, not because it was ending!).  The waitress brought the bill and in true fashion, I didn't grab for it or offer to pay, chivalry is NOT dead!  He picked it up, looked at it, and said "So, do you want to split this?" What?!? All I could do was say yes, but was busy calculating what the total might be.  We had not ordered similar meals and his was three times what mine cost.  I graciously put down my card and bought half of his lunch!  The most interesting moment was when the waitress brought our receipts I promptly signed my copy and watched him tuck all the copies into his wallet.  I told him that I think he needed to sign a copy for the restaurant and thought to myself, do you ever go out to eat?  Well Milkshake, I think that there must be an equally awkward girl out there for you, but I'm just not that girl!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment