Monday, January 2, 2012

Coffee Date

One of my (M) concerns with this blog is the chance that it might work out with some fellow and then he will presumably read the blog and see my unrefined thoughts about him. So there is a part of me that wants to tread lightly with publishing my hesitations about any guy that I think there might be potential with... So, someday, future boyfriend, if you read this, please don't judge these words too harshly. 


Today was the day. Coffee date with my very own Tall Coffee (TC). Just a quick refresher: TC, 24, creative, works for a college ministry, smart, nerdy. I really wasn't nervous, I think I intentionally did not put a ton of weight on this get-together so I could feel more at ease. Plus, he had done the gentlemanly thing and driven to meet me at a coffeehouse near my house, so I had the advantage of familiarity. Of course, I showed up the fashionable 4 minutes late, but TC won the fashionably late contest, so while I waited I reserved a nice corner table for us. The coffeehouse was quiet and not super busy, which was perfect. TC showed up just a few minutes after me, I stood up and just said hi and asked if he made it okay. We didn't do the awkward "do we handshake or do we hug" thing, instead we opted for neither and just started chatting instead. We talked about work, Christmas break, family, personality, books, plans for the rest of the day... yep, even the weather. Pretty basic stuff, but the conversation never felt uncomfortable. I had a safeguard on my schedule - needed to meet some friends downtown at 1ish, so the coffee date couldn't last more than an hour and a half, but the time actually went quite quickly. And for the curious readers, I did hug him goodbye. :)


Here is my best assessment: TC is very nice, a bit shy, thoughtful, very smart, nerdy but in an endearing way, cute - cuter than I expected, and serious. I am definitely interested in him. At the same time, I didn't come home with my heart fluttering from excitement, but I am beginning to wonder if my heart is the type that flutters... it might just be the kind that knows when it loves someone, and then it really loves them. Anyway, here are the concerns: TC might not be able to handle my sassy sarcasm and he was not very funny. I also had the unrealistic expectation that he would text or email me shortly after the date, which he did not, so I bucked up and sent him a short message, which he quite promptly responded to, so I won't hold that against him. I am also concerned that he is similar to a boy from a past relationship, so there is a part of me that wants to overcompensate for that. But so far, if I really am going to give online dating a chance, TC is my best bet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment